With Diane's broken leg (it's a long story)...we have not had a chance to go gold prospecting or detecting. Cabin fever was setting in, so I decided to go ahead with a project I had been considering. I wanted to make a sluice that would easily show me the location of the paystreak with random samples from various likely locations. The obvious answer was to incorporate an extra long inspection mat with a short set of riffles. It took two days to make the box, waterproof it, and round up the hardware but the effort was well worth it.
After making the sluice, I could not wait to test my creation so I got up early today and headed for the creek. After an hour drive to the claim, I spent five hours working my new box and my old Keene sluice. My home-made sluice performed like a champ and I am very pleased.
It was a warm but perfect day on the creek and the best part, of course, was the gold!
Diane could not come with me today but we will find out on Thursday if her cast can come off. If so, we will be digging and detecting our little hearts out.